This amazing Asparagus Stir Fry or Talasani is a simple and quick Konkani style classic side dish, seasoned with only roasted garlic and dry red chillies; and it is good for you too! With just hot steaming rice and some dal, it is the ultimate comfort food for any Mangalorean Konkani from south India!
Summer cooking should be quick, fresh and fuss free with just simple ingredients available during the season. Toiling over a hot stove in the sweltering hot summer days is not my idea of cooking! A quick stir fry which is ready in less than 15 minutes (prepping and cooking) is my kind of dish.
Dish up hot steamed rice in a pressure cooker or rice cooker along with dal (you can cook both in the same cooker or simultaneously in two cookers), season or temper and a simple meal is ready in less than 30 minutes! Pair it with a salad like Raw Carrot and Beetroot Salad or Mung Bean Sprouts, Sweet Corn and Mango Salad (you can chop these up when the rice and dal is cooking) and a complete healthy and delicious Indian meal with rice, dal (we love it with Konkani style dal called “dalithoy“), salad and a vegetable stir fry is ready to be plated up on your table!
I love all stir fries like broccoli talasani, green beans stir fry or even a zucchini stir fry; the fresh crunch of vegetables just cooked to a crisp tender bite is my kind of fresh vegetable curry. During my last visit to the grocery store, I came across a fresh bunch of tender asparagus. It had been a long time since I had made my favorite asparagus stir fry (it is still not easily available in India) and with just a few days left to enjoy my stay in my son’s house in San Diego, I had to savor the flavor of this highly nutritious vegetable once more.
All it takes is to chop up the vegetable and stir fry in a garlic (the best way to do it is crush it with the skin in a mortar pestle) and chilli tempering on medium high heat for just a few minutes; crunchy, tasty and healthy green asparagus stir fry is yours to enjoy. Do try this awesome, totally vegan vegetable talasani and let me know in the comment box below or on my Facebook page, how much you enjoyed it!
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, chopped, sliced or crushed
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies, halved or cut up into 2 to 3 pieces
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil (or any cooking oil)
- Salt to taste
- Wash asparagus and drain water. Take one asparagus and gently break off a small piece of the thicker end until it breaks off on its own. Discard this hard portion.
- Chop the remaining tender stalk into 1 inch pieces. Continue with the rest of the asparagus.
- Heat oil in a saucepan (wok or even a cast iron skillet); once oil is hot, stir in garlic and fry on medium heat until it starts to brown. Immediately add the dry red chilies, stir well and then toss in the chopped asparagus.
- Sprinkle salt to taste, drizzle some water over it, give it a good mix and cook on medium high heat, loosely covered , stirring in between until the vegetable is crisp tender and still crunchy. This takes just about 2 to 3 minutes or until it is bright green and still crunchy.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with rice and dal.
- If you do not have dry red chillies, you can use some red chilli powder instead.
- Take care not to overcook; it tastes best crisp tender and crunchy.
- Serve as a side dish.
- You can follow the same recipe for broccoli, zucchini, green beans etc.
If you like my posts and recipes, do not forget to Pin, Share, comment in the box below or like my Facebook page