Creamy Mocha Lassi!! Now, that sounds like something I would love to sip on during these hot summer days! If you love coffee and cannot get enough of chocolate, you must try this cooling and refreshing yogurt based healthy drink today.
Creamy, mocha yogurt lassi is flavored with cocoa powder (for the chocolate lover in me), and of course, coffee (my day never starts without a cup of strong coffee with my breakfast; so coffee had to be one of the elements in my lassi!). Sweetened with honey, this delightful yogurt based Indian drink cannot be healthier and more delicious.
I have never been a great lover of lassis (yogurt based Indian drink); I prefer a bowl of thick homemade yogurt instead with my meal. My husband is more the big fan of thick creamy icy cold lassis. Strawberry sweet lassi is one of his favorites along with cilantro and jalapeno savory lassi.
Lassis can be made sweet or savory. Just blend thick yogurt (make sure it is not sour) with any fruit like mango, strawberry, peach etc. to make sweet fruit lassis. Sweeten with sugar, brown sugar or better yet honey (not too much as sometimes, the sugar in the fruits is sweet enough) to balance the natural sourness of the yogurt and also as a healthier option. Addition of cardamom powder, vanilla or even saffron give these lassis an exotic twist.
For a spicy and savory lassi, cilantro with jalapenos is the combination used in our house. With a pinch of black salt or Himalayan Pink salt, light and refreshing spicy cilantro lassi is ready.
Icy cold chocolate milkshakes and banana milkshakes were always on the menu when my kids were small. It was the best and fun way to make them get their daily quota of milk and fruit, especially during the summer. Any extra milkshake found its way to me and was my way of enjoying this summer treat!
Recently, while watching a cooking show on TV, I came across this chef making espresso lassi and it piqued my interest. For my chocolate fetish, how could I not include that? I had to try that. Cocoa powder and coffee powder is always stocked in any house, especially mine!
So Mocha Lassi it was (if you have been following my blog, you know by now how much I love chocolate!) It is so easy to make this coffee and chocolate flavored lassi. Just blend thick yogurt with cocoa powder, coffee powder and some milk or water along with some ice cubes to a thick and frothy icy cold yogurt beverage. Use sugar or brown sugar to sweeten or just honey for a healthier twist. It is that easy!
I can have this creamy mocha flavored lassi any time! Who knows, with chocolate in them, your kids will love it too (of course, you can omit the coffee if serving to kids)!
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- ¼ cup milk or water
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Few ice cubes
- Blend all ingredients in a blender jar until smooth, creamy and frothy. Do a taste test and add more honey or sugar to adjust to your sweetness.
- Adjust the consistency of the lassi according to your preference by adding more water or milk.
- Serve immediately or keep in refrigerator until serving time.
- Now, wasn’t that easy? Enjoy this creamy and healthy mocha lassi anytime, especially during the summers!
- Always use thick yogurt, which is not sour, to make lassis.
- Instead of cocoa powder, you can use melted chocolate (add only after it comes to room temperature), Nutella etc.
- For a totally chocolaty flavor, you can avoid coffee altogether.
- You can add a dash of cinnamon powder or vanilla essence/extract to jazz up the flavor even more!
If you like my posts and recipes, do not forget to Pin, Share, comment in the box below or like my Facebook page 🙂