Easy Creamy Coleslaw is a refreshing salad made with finely shredded or chopped cabbage, grated carrots and mayonnaise with a splash of vinegar. I love to have additional crunch and color, so bell pepper or capsicum fits the choice perfectly!! Perfect eaten as such or as an accompaniment with burgers and sandwiches, you will find this amazing, creamy, crunchy, tangy and slightly sweet salad with chopped red onions on our dinner table on days we have sandwiches or burgers.
Bottled eggless mayonnaise has been used (from the supermarket) here; feel free to make your own. As I have mentioned in all my recipes, we love everything spicy, so how can I not add green chillies or jalapenos to up the heat along with some black pepper powder? If you are not comfortable using vinegar, go ahead and substitute with lemon juice for the tang.
If the mayonnaise you are using is not sweet, add some sugar to slightly sweeten the salad for the classic version of this colorful salad.
Coleslaw with mayonnaise (ready under 10 minutes!!) is best eaten the same day, as the longer it is kept, the water released from the cabbage will make it soggy and runny (if there are any leftovers!!). A great party dish, it goes well with any tandoori or barbeque dish. If you do not like mayonnaise, try this with thick yogurt (for a low-calorie version) and do not forget to add a bit of sugar.
- 1 cup finely chopped or shredded green cabbage
- ½ to ¾ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum or bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onions
- 1 green chilli or jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (optional)
- Finely chop the cabbage, green chillie (optional), onions and bell pepper. Grate the carrot.
- Mix all the vegetables in a bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, vinegar or lemon juice and black pepper powder (optional). Mix well with a spoon.
- Taste the salad for a balance of spice, salt, sugar and tang. Adjust accordingly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour for the flavors to blend well.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with burgers, sandwiches or just as a side salad with any meal.
- Feel free to add finely chopped green onions, coriander leaves (cilantro), nuts etc. for a different variation to this classic salad.
- Consume within a day.
- The amount of mayonnaise is up to you; add more or less as per personal preference.