Delicious Raw Crunchy Carrots and Beetroot Salad is a colorful quick salad you can make to complement any meal you have. It is a no-oil, gluten-free, totally vegan salad that you can serve as a side dish, as main course salad or even as a healthy snack!!
No meal is complete without a fresh, crunchy and colorful salad on the side to soothe the palate and stomach. It could be a bowlful of mixed raw vegetables put together with a tangy or sweet dressing or just a drizzle of oil and lemon juice or it can just be a few carrots or tomatoes sliced or in juliennes. The freshness that it gives to a meal is incomparable!!
Beets are a powerhouse of nutrients; high in antioxidants, full of vitamins and minerals and very low in fat. Most people do not prefer beets in their diet as compared to other vegetables. Overcook them and they turn mushy and to eat it raw is not palatable to many because of its earthy smell.
I love the crunch and color of this not so popular vegetable (especially to kids) and I love how my hands turn pink while peeling and chopping them!!! Cut them in half and what you see is beautiful concentric circles of different shades; nature at its best!!
Today’s salad is a simple mix of carrots and beets, finely chopped for an easy bite. Chopped or slit green chillies or jalapenos are added for a spicy touch. Carrots and beets by themselves have not much flavor, but addition of finely chopped coriander leaves or cilantro not only makes it more colorful but adds to the nutrient value found in cilantro. One squeeze of lemon juice and you have a healthy salad to complement any dish! I have even eaten them with chapattis ( a thin Indian flatbread)!!
- 1 medium sized beetroot
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 2 to 3 green chillies/jalepenos
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves/cilantro
- Half a lemon
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the carrots and beets well.
- Peel and finely chop them.
- Place in a serving bowl.
- Add finely chopped green chillies (you can cut them into roundels) and chopped cilantro.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the mixture.
- Stir in salt to taste and mix well.
- Crunchy, colorful and healthy carrots and beetroot salad is ready to dig into!
- You can add slices red onions for additional flavor.
- Some sprouts or even nuts like peanuts or walnuts can be stirred in for added proteins
- It is best eaten in a day or two.