THE BEST TIME FOR ICE CREAM IS ALWAYS!!!!!
Fresh homemade strawberry ice cream is a smooth, naturally sweet 100% natural no-churn ice cream with just 2 ingredients, bananas and fresh strawberries. Eat it totally guilt free for a totally vegan, gluten-free, low-calorie sugar free dessert!
I have been mulling making this instant 2 ingredient ice cream for a few months now. What deterred me was my blender!! The blender I have is not high-powered enough and blending frozen fruits needs a high powered machine like a food processor or a high-powered blender.
A couple of months back, to make it easier for me to churn out gourmet dishes faster and with more ease, I purchased a food processor and life has become so much easier now. Using this wondrous appliance, I have crushed biscuits for my double chocolate brownies, pureed tomatoes for my tomato thokku/pickle and pizza sauce, and finely chopped vegetables for my pinwheel sandwiches and heart-shaped sandwiches in a jiffy.
With this recipe for a healthy banana ice cream waiting to be tried out and with strawberries in season, I decided to make the 2-ingredient strawberry ice cream in my food processor. All you need to do is freeze the fruits and blend them in the processor till smooth and creamy. Fresh homemade low-calorie strawberry ice cream, which is somewhere between a regular ice cream and a fruit sorbet, is ready! Eat it right away or freeze for a harder texture.
I was amazed that just frozen fruits could metamorphose themselves into such delectable creamy frozen treats in under 5 minutes. Frozen banana is transformed into this creamy ice cream like texture on blending. The end result was so smooth, it was fresh and surprisingly sweet (and with no added sugar!). I cannot wait to try this with other flavors soon.
If you feel that it is not sweet enough for your palate (this depends upon the sweetness of the bananas and strawberries), you can add some sugar or honey, 1 teaspoon at a time or even some condensed milk (avoid this if you want a vegan ice cream).
I am sure a lot of you out there have kids and even adults who refuse to eat fruits! Serve them this creamy ice cream and I am sure they will not notice that you have sneaked fruits into their diet, that too totally sugar free and without all the added chemicals in store bought ice cream.
Do try this today (before all the seasonal strawberries are gone) and enjoy a healthy ice cream for a change instead of all those readymade ice creams with all the umpteen chemicals in them!
- 2 large bananas
- 1 ½ cups strawberries
- Peel, bananas, cut into ½ inch slices and deep freeze in Ziploc bags till completely frozen (about 3 hours or overnight)
- Roughly chop strawberries (after hulling them) into big chunks and freeze in a container or Ziploc bags for 2 to 3 hours.
- Place the frozen bananas and strawberries into a bowl of a food processor or a high powered blender.
- Puree till you get a smooth mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl in between using a spatula.
- Soft serve homemade strawberry ice cream is ready!!
- You can serve this immediately or if you want a harder ice cream, place the mixture in a freezer container and freeze for about 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve immediately.
- You will need a food processor or a high-powered blender to do the job. Do not try to do this in an ordinary blender; it may burn out.
- Feel free to add a teaspoon of vanilla extract when blending.
- If you find the ice cream not sweet to your liking, add some sugar, honey or condensed milk when blending.
- Using the same procedure, you can make your favorite flavored ice creams; nutella, coffee, chocolate, nuts, mint, other fresh fruits etc.