Homemade easy pizza sauce uses garden fresh ingredients like tomatoes, onions and jalapenos/green chilies along with dried Italian herbs to make a thick spicy flavorful pizza sauce, ready to be used as toppings for any pizza, in sandwiches, over calzones, bread pizza or as a dip too!!
Who does not like pizza? At our home, we have pizza at least once a week!! Our family has always preferred homemade pizza and of course, sauce and crust both have to be homemade. Whenever I come across a large batch of fresh tomatoes in the grocery aisle, I pick up a basket of it, and of course, the next day, the whole house smells of simmering pot of pizza sauce!
The key to any good pizza is the sauce!! Making it at home gives you the flexibility to adjust the taste according to your preference; just make sure you use ripe tomatoes. No blanching of tomatoes to remove the peel (how easier can it get)!! The best part is, you can double the recipe and freeze some for later use.
Pizza sauce can be used in any dish you prefer like bread pizza, calzones (pizza turnovers shaped like crescents), or even over pasta (after adding a few sautéed vegetables like mushroom, onions and bell peppers).
I have added store-bought ripe tomatoes to get the freshness in the sauce and puree is added to make it thick (adding only fresh tomatoes makes the sauce runny and watery). Red onions give it a good flavor.
Do try this quick and easy pizza sauce and enjoy your next pizza your way!!!
Homemade vegetarian pizza recipe with easy crust instructions coming up in my next post!!!!
For more Italian dishes, try: Homemade Italian vegetarian calzones,
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 big onion
- 2 to 3 green chillies/jalapenos
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 cartons of tomato puree (200 ml each, you can use any brand)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, onions, garlic and green chillies and blend to a paste in a blender or food processor, without adding any water.
- Heat a large deep saucepan. Add the pureed paste along with the two cartons of tomato puree.
- Stir in the dried spices along with sugar and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil on high, and once it reaches a bubbling boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes till the sauce is thick; make it as thick or thin as you want.
- Taste for seasoning, sugar and salt. Adjust accordingly.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Use to make scrumptious exotic pizzas and calzones!!
- Use only fresh, ripe tomatoes.
- Adjust the amount of garlic and jalapenos according to your spice level.
- Make it as thick or as thin as you want.
- It stays fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week. Freeze leftovers.
I would love to hear from you!! Please feel free to give feedback and comments.