Moroccan spiced Cauliflower and Almond soup is my take on a comforting soup from the North African region. It is a perfect blend of humble cauliflower with the nutty flavor of almonds, infused with aromatic spices like coriander, cumin and cinnamon and a spicy kick from the chili paste!!! With toasted whole wheat bread on the side, you have a complete healthy meal!!
Cauliflower is one vegetable I hesitate to buy as the only dish I really enjoy using cauliflower is fried cauliflower pakodas/fritters!!! Although it tastes heavenly, the fried element dissuades me from making it too often.
Cooking cauliflower is also not that appetizing as it gets mushy in a blink! The only way we love it if it is flash cooked to retain its crunch and flavor.
Who does not love soups? When I came across this exotic soup online, it fascinated me. The cold wintry nights are perfect for just such a hot soup. They bring comforting warmth all over. With some cauliflower flowerets in my refrigerator and almonds in the pantry, I decided to try this spice infused soup for a Moroccan experience!!!
Spice powder like coriander, cumin and cinnamon powders are always in stock. The spicy element in the soup intrigued me. The original recipe uses Harissa (a North African chili pepper paste). I have used my homemade chili-garlic paste. If you dread the heat, just use the humble jalapeno/green chilis.
Using my good old pressure pan, soup was ready in no time!! You can make this in a saucepan too, just takes a longer time. Just blitz the whole cooked mixture in a blender, food processor or just a hand blender. Smooth, soothing, spicy (from the chili paste) and nutty vegan soup is ready to slurp away!!!
- 1 to ½ cups cauliflower flowerets
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup roughly chopped onions
- 2 cloves of garlic (1 if large)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon chili garlic paste
- 2 green chilis/jalapenos slit
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Extra almonds, slivered or chopped (optional)
- Chopped green onions or chopped coriander leaves
- In a pressure pan or saucepot, heat the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add garlic, onions, almonds and cauliflower flowerets along with jalapenos(if using this instead of chili paste) and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes on medium low.
- Add the spice powders (coriander, cumin and cinnamon) along with the chili paste and fry again for about a minute.
- Add about 1 to 1 ½ cups of water and close the pressure pan. Cook on high for about 2 whistles.
- If using a saucepan, cook, covered for about 15 to 20 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
- Once cooked, drain the soup into a pot over a colander.
- Remove the slit jalapenos and blend the cooked vegetable in a blender to a smooth paste.
- Add to the drained liquid and mix well. Add more water if necessary to the consistency you want.
- Add salt to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve garnished with additional almonds, green onions or coriander leaves/cilantro and a drizzle of chili paste.
- Aromatic and exotic Moroccan spiced cauliflower and almond soup is ready to dig into during these cold winter nights!!!
- If you do not have chili-garlic paste or chili paste, use any hot chili sauce or just jalapenos.
- You can use any oil you prefer instead of olive oil.