Quick and Easy Mock Oreo Tiramisu Parfait ; a decadent, chocolaty, rich and lip-smacking make-ahead dessert for all chocolate and coffee lovers with layers of coffee infused oreo cookie crumbles and creamy custard laced with more coffee! It is a perfect party/special occasion dessert or just-like-that treat!
Today is my elder daughter-in-law’s birthday and this scrumptious dessert is specially made for her! I love to come up with dishes with what I have in my pantry or refrigerator, instead of rushing to the market. I had some oreo cookies lying around and was waiting to use them in some way.
Custard powder and milk are always in my house. I have always been fascinated by the taste and look of tiramisu, an Italian coffee flavored custard dessert and was waiting to make this at home. One of the main ingredients is mascarpone cheese which is not easily available around here; although I could have tried to make my own.
But, I am a quick and easy recipe kinda of girl! So, my take on this amazing Italian gift to the world is just layers of crumbled oreo cookies with coffee laced custard using readymade custard powder and instant coffee powder. Now, wasn’t that genius?
All you needs to do is to crumble the oreo cookies into small pieces, layer them in parfait or dessert glasses and moisten them with a coffee decoction (more instant coffee dissolved in hot water); then top with creamy custard laced and infused with more coffee! Alternate these layers till you fill the glass, finishing with the coffee custard layer and chill. How easier can it get?
One taste of the creamy coffee flavored custard, especially for a coffee lover like me and I was just spooning it into my mouth before I realized that the dessert was still waiting to be layered. Pulling myself away from it, I proceeded to complete layering the cookies and custard and chucked it in the refrigerator to chill it thoroughly. You need to chill it at least for 8 hours to fully develop the creamy deliciousness of this coffee and chocolate wonder treat!
Once the dessert is fully chilled, serve it with a sprinkling of cocoa powder or coffee powder and a garnish of oreo cookie and be prepared to wow your friends and family!
After my prize winning Carrot Cake Parfait was loved by all, this is going to be my go-to dessert for my next party!
- 20 to 25 oreos
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tsp custard powder (vanilla flavor)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar (depending upon how sweet you want it)
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1 to 2 tsp cocoa powder
- Mix 4 tsp of custard powder in ¼ cup of room temperature or cold milk until smooth. Keep aside.
- Boil the rest of the milk in a saucepan.
- Once it comes to a boil, stir in sugar and mix well to dissolve completely.
- Stir in custard powder paste; stirring constantly to make a smooth, creamy and thick mixture.
- Reduce heat and add coffee powder and mix well.
- Set aside to cool, stirring often to avoid a skin forming on top.
- Coffee flavored custard is ready.
- Break off oreo cookies into rough, uneven small pieces, small enough to fit the bottom of a dessert glass or jar completely; smaller the pieces the better.
- Keep some whole cookies aside for garnishing.
- Dissolve ½ tsp coffee powder in ¼ cup of hot water until dissolved; keep aside to cool.
- Now start layering the cookies and coffee flavored custard.
- Layer cookies at the bottom of the dessert glass to cover the bottom as much as possible.
- After every layer of cookie, sprinkle some coffee decoction over them to moisten (totally optional but helps in softening the cookies in the tiramisu) before spooning the creamy, thick custard over the cookies and continue until the final top layer of custard. Custard layer should be more thicker than the cookies for a creamier softer dessert!
- Once all the dessert glasses are ready, cover with a plastic cling wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 to 4 hours; best is overnight to enjoy the full flavors!
- Just before serving, sprinkle some cocoa powder and coffee powder over the mock tiramisu (again optional) and serve with a garnish of crispy, delicious oreo cookie!
- For a creamier version, more authentic, beat in some mascarpone cheese into the custard before layering.
- Another option is to crumble the cookies into a coarse powder and then layer with custard.
- For additional chocolaty delight, drizzle with chocolate syrup in between layers and over the top.
- Use any kind of cookie or even cake to make this quick and easy version of tiramisu; but do not miss the coffee!
For more quick and easy desserts, try:
Instant Rasmalai (click here)
Lauki/Bottlegourd Halwa (click here)
Homemade Almond Mocha Fudge Ice Cream (click here )
If you like my posts and recipes, do not forget to Pin, Share, comment in the box below or like my Facebook page 🙂