Transport yourself into the Mediterranean with this easy, quick and simple Mediterranean Greek salad. Just some fresh ingredients which you probably already have in your refrigerator and making this fun nutritious salad is a breeze. Along with some crusty bread, freshly smeared with butter or toasted, on the side, it is a healthy and quick filling meal.
No meal is complete without a salad. Be it just some sliced tomatoes or even some carrot sticks, the crunch of raw vegetables somehow soothes the palate and fills you with a healthy glow inside!!
Greek salad is one such simple raw salad but with a tangy dressing of olive oil and vinegar (or if you prefer lemon or lime juice). For an authentic taste, olive oil is the best choice. Olives are a must, green or black.
A typical Greek salad : cucumber, tomatoes (you can even use cherry tomatoes; no hassle of cutting them up), bell pepper, red onions and of course, the pièce de résistance, olives and feta cheese (a Greek cheese). If you cannot get feta cheese, use paneer (Indian cottage cheese) cut into chunks or crumbled.
Of course, how can you forget the dressing that binds them together? A quick shake of olive oil (the best you can get!!), some vinegar or fresh lemon juice, garlic and oregano with salt and pepper, and your instant Greek salad dressing is ready!! Use as much as you want and store the rest in the refrigerator for later use on any salad or just as a dip for a crusty bread!!
Why do I love this salad so much?
- Big chunks of fresh juicy tomatoes and crunchy cucumbers.
- Chunks of feta cheese (for the authentic Greek taste) or paneer for my, daily protein dose.
- Green crispy bites of raw bell pepper/capsicum (my favorite part).
- The heady aroma of sliced red onions in every bite (and good for you too!!).
What are you waiting for? Rush to your refrigerator, pick up your favorite salad vegetables and have a healthy Greek classic today with your meal; be it with your pasta, rice and dal, sandwiches or even pizza!! It is sure to surprise you with its Mediterranean taste….
While you are into salads, please try Sprouted Green Gram Kosambari.
- Marinating the salad in the dressing for some time will release the juices of the vegetables. Sometimes, this gives a good variation to the Greek salad.
- Feel free to add more fresh vegetables of your choice.
- Make more of this tangy dressing and refrigerate for later use on any salad.
Sharing this with #SaucySaturdays |