Today, I am sharing a simple tomato and carrot soup which can be ready in under 30 minutes with ingredients already in your kitchen. This satisfying healthy soup is made with chunks of tomatoes, onions and carrots roasted in butter or oil (for a vegan option) and flavored with cloves and ginger with a spicy kick from jalapeno, chili powder and black pepper!! Paired with toasted bread, it is a complete satisfying meal.
Fall is here, winter is just around the corner and there is a nip in the air. At times like these, there is nothing more comforting than a bowl of steaming hot soup!! Prepared in a pressure cooker, any soup can be ready in a jiffy! Some days I just do not feel like toiling around in the kitchen and my to-go meal is soup with toast.
It is super simple to throw together and carrots give it a thickness as well as a tinge of sweetness. Serve it thick or thin. Have fun garnishing with green onions, cilantro, chives, bread croutons or even a dash of your favorite cheese, grated!!
I am sure your family will love this simple, quick soup and it will be a staple in your kitchen for a long time!! Other soups you can try are Mexican vegetarian soup (with lots of flavors, vegetables and a Mexican twist) and red radish soup .
Shared with #recipeoftheweek.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 1 medium onion
- ½ inch piece ginger
- 3 cloves
- 1 green chilli/jalapeno
- 1 Maggi vegetable seasoning cube (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons butter/oil/ghee
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Wash the vegetables and cut the onions into big chunks and tomatoes into 2.
- Peel the carrot and roughly chop into big pieces.
- Slit the green chili.
- In a pressure pan, heat 1 tablespoon butter/ghee/oil.
- Add the cloves and ginger and sauté for a few seconds.
- Tip in the vegetables (onion, tomatoes and carrots) and sauté for about 1 to 2 minutes on medium high heat just enough to sear them.
- Pour about 1 to 2 cups of water and close the pressure pan.
- Heat on high, and after one whistle, turn the heat off.
- Once the pressure is released completely, open the pan and let cool slightly.
- Remove the skin from the tomatoes, try and remove the cloves and ginger piece along with the green chili.
- Drain and place the cooked vegetables in a blender jar and make a fine paste.
- Pour the smooth paste into a saucepan and add water according to how thick or thin you want the soup to be. Add the water in which the vegetables were cooked too.
- Add salt, sugar, the seasoning cube and stir. Bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter/ghee/oil and once it is hot, add the chili powder and pepper powder, turn the heat off and add this seasoning into the soup. Mix well and serve hot garnished with chopped green onions or coriander leaves/cilantro and a blob of butter (optional).
- Serve hot with buttered toasted bread.
- You can avoid the carrot and make it just a tomato-onion soup.
- If you do not have seasoning cube, you can omit it; it will taste just as good!!
- Addition of garlic along with the ginger will give it another flavor; sometimes I use only garlic instead of ginger or sometimes use both.